Benefits of professional facility management
The objective of facility management is to systematically maintain or enhance the safety, comfort and efficiency of the facility. Take for example an office building, there will be a certain service level that the landlord commits to the tenant. It is the domain of facility management to enable the landlord to continuously fulfil the Service Level Agreement. To do so, it will require well-organised process flows involving people and supported by technology. Technology such as a facility management system.
If the budget allows for it, it is best to outsource facility management to professionals. Here’s why:
- A well-reviewed facility management company would have accumulated years of wisdom and connections to help you maintain or exceed your service level while maintaining or even lowering your maintenance cost.
- They will advise on the optimal allocation of resources to cover all aspects of maintaining your facility such that there is no overkill or under-investment. E.g: The frequency of cleaning external glass panels, the security level to implement or the frequency of fumigation to be carried out.
- A capable facility vendor will introduce proven tools such as work order systems and facility management software that bring added efficiency and reliability.
- Sharing of best practices. An experienced facility management company will be able to share how to simplify or standardise existing processes to better serve your tenants while keeping cost low. Standardised processes reduce confusion for workers and increase reliability on all levels.
- Lower procurement costs. With a bigger client-based, facility management companies are in a better position to bargain for a lower cost from contractors or sub-contractors. There is also a better chance that the vendors they choose will be of a higher quality as they are tried and tested by other clients before you.
- One of the most important reason is that it frees you to focus on your core business. Distractions might be detrimental to your profitability.
- Real-time updates via desktop or mobile devices offered by modern facility management software allow facility owners to track the status of their properties easily. Useful stats such as the number of complaints, feedbacks, pending work orders and how long it takes for a work order to be completed gives the owner a good idea of what is going on. Detailed report tailored to answer what matters to you can be generated monthly. It is useful for management reporting and to detect gaps and bottlenecks.
- You will only have to deal with a single point of contact and there is no need to managing multiple contracts with sub-contractors.
- Peace of mind that you are ticking off all the compliance checkboxes required to fulfil the latest FM standards as they will be handled by the facility management company.