Benefits of Automated Document Workflows for Streamlined Processes
Efficient creation and distribution of documents within an organization requires adherence to document workflow processes. This ensures that documents are managed effectively throughout their entire lifecycle. Managing document workflows involves many different tasks including creating new content along with revising existing information and collaborating on updates.
Additionally, version control and approval routing are critical components within most workflows ensuring that everything stays organized. The goal of workflows is to make document management more efficient by standardizing procedures that ensure accuracy as well as compliance with regulations while also eliminating errors and delays.
Manual Document Workflows
Many businesses today continue to use manual paper-based workflows, which brings a slew of disadvantages that impede the effectiveness of business processes. The following is a typical scenario of a manual document workflow.
- An employee creates the document on their computer.
- Multiple copies of the document are printed and distributed to managers, colleagues, or clients via in-person delivery.
- When the recipients receive their document copy, they review and edited their copies by hand.
- The employee who created the document then collects the edited copies with handwritten notes and consolidates the changes into a single document.
- The next step for the employee is to get the revised document signed and approved by the relevant managers. This is done by signing their approval on a printed or on an approval sheet.
- The approved document is filed away in a filing cabinet and an administrator is tasked to update tracking and indexing systems to denote the document’s location and status.
This demonstrates how a manual document workflow requires several steps that present many disadvantages.
Completing manual document workflows that require physical handling, printing, and filing can be a very time-consuming task. The chances of making an error are greater with manual workflows since human intervention may cause confusion, misfiling or illegible handwriting.
Furthermore, limited visibility makes it difficult to locate a document and keep track of the approval progress, which results in delays. Working together on documents through manual collaboration can be slow and unproductive, and compliance and security can be easily compromised when documents are mishandled or misplaced.
Lastly, the inefficiency of manual workflows may increase as organizations grow larger and handle more documents, leading to decreased productivity as it becomes increasingly difficult for manual processes to keep pace.
Automated Document Workflows
Using the typical scenario, here’s how an automated document workflow can streamline the process:
- An employee creates the digital document on their computer.
- The document is uploaded to a document management system and the relevant stakeholders are notified who are authorized to access to the document.
- Employees view and make changes simultaneously directly within original digital document.
- The document management system tracks all changes and preserves a clear audit trail along with comments and discussions added in real-time.
- Automated approval routing is triggered to notify designated approvers who review and approve the document digitally.
- The document is automatically stored in a centralized repository where employees can easily search and retrieve by authorized individuals from any location.
- Throughout the process, there is no need for printing, physical signatures, or manual tracking.
Benefits of Automated Document Workflows
Time-saving opportunities arise with automation through eliminating laborious tasks related to documentation while reducing the time spent managing records as well as the associated costs with printing, paper, and storage.
Achieving results is possible through automated document workflows that establish standardized procedures and predetermined guidelines while also offering automation alerts. This streamlined process eliminates bottlenecks by ensuring smooth document flow.
Digital document collaboration between stakeholders is highly effective through using automated workflows that improve teamwork and productivity. Seamless collaboration with simplified editing procedures that encourage prompt feedback.
Better Visibility and Control
Automation offers real-time insight on a document status and progression throughout the workflow, which makes tracking document locations possible. This feature can also identify any pending tasks required to be completed. Built-in functionality for analytics and reporting allows management to be proactive and increase visibility over the process.
Robust Security and Compliance
Automated workflows provide an effective way to comply with regulations and internal policies, while security of data is ensured by the incorporation of audit trails alongside providing version control and access controls that enforce privacy.
Scalability and Flexibility
Automation also makes it simple to scale up to meet the growing requirements of documents and the organization. Flexibility is provided for businesses through customization allowing adjustment of workflows to meet business requirements.
Streamline, Collaborate, and Succeed
KRIS Document Management System (DMS) can significantly help in automating the workflow of documents which simplifies and streamlines your business process. Efficiently managing documents is easier than ever thanks to the array of available features, such as online collaboration options coupled with automated approval routing capabilities. This enhances accuracy as well as version tracking for complete centralization.
The protection of data confidentiality is guaranteed by means of the system’s compliance mechanisms. Moreover, optimization of your organization’s operational efficiency is guaranteed for streamlined and automated workflow processing.
Find out how a Document Management System can simplify your everyday office processes.